Attention all NEW and 8th grade members!!! The induction ceremony for new members will be held May 10 at 6 pm in the main gym. All 8th grade members must also attend, as you will be recognized for your service and receive your pin for Honor’s Night at this time. Dress code is slacks and nice shirt for men and dresses, skirts or slacks for women! The ceremony will last approximately one hour and a reception with refreshments will follow. Please feel free to invite your family! See you there!
Attention all NJHS members!! Your service logs are due to Mrs. Campisi in room 4 no later than Friday May 13. Be sure you have logged all service hours and a supervising adult has signed off! Please add your hours up and be sure to staple and put your name on all logs if you have multiples. You must have completed 25 hours, but there is an award to the member with the highest number of service hours! Get those logs in! Mrs. Campisi can take them starting now and up until May 13th. If you fail to complete the hours or turn in your log, you will no longer be a member in good standing!
The meeting scheduled for Tuesday April 12 has been cancelled! This meeting WILL NOT BE RESCHEDULED! There will be no more meetings this year.
If you are interested in applying for admittance into NJHS next school year, the process will begin Monday April 8, 2016. Application packets can be picked up in the front office or you can click the links below and print the application packet and recommendation forms from home. In order to be considered, each student must:
- Complete the application packet and return the SIGNED parent permission form.
- Have and keep a 3.5 GPA or better.
- Obtain 3 recommendations (2 must be from teachers and 1 from an adult NOT RELATED to the student outside of school)
- Complete an essay (prompt will be included in the application packet) to be reviewed by our panel of 5 faculty advisors.
Application Packet – you need ONE of these.
Recommendation Form – you need THREE of these.
ALL APPLICATION FORMS, ESSAY, RECOMMENDATIONS AND SIGNED APPLICATION FORM ARE DUE BY WEDNESDAY APRIL 13TH!!! ABSOLUTELY NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!
* Note – current 7th grade members in good standing (3.5 GPA and 25 service hours completed) will automatically be rolled over to next year. There is no need to re-apply.
1. There are new opportunities for service hours posted in the “Upcoming Service Opportunities” tab
2. The next general meeting is Tuesday February 23! This meeting is mandatory, will be held in the cafe and will begin at 2:25. There is a rep from NHS at the high school coming to speak to you regarding the benefits of being in both NJHS and then in NHS in high school!
3. Remeber that it’s all hands on deck Thursday 2/18 to sort and box up supplies for our military care packages.
NJHS members are collecting items to create care packages for our troops. Items can be brought to students’ homerooms where NJHS members will then come around and collect the items. Items can be donated from now until February 17. Once all items are collected, NJHS members will begin preparing the care packages, writing notes to the soldiers, and sending off the packages. A list of items being collected can be found on the Bernotas NJHS website.
Items to bring for military care packages
- Foot powder
- Hard candy
- Paperback books
- You may also bring in a monetary donation – Mrs. Campisi/ Stefani will then go out and purchase items to put in the care packages.
A reminder that our next all club, mandatory meeting will be held January 26 at 2:20 in the cafeteria. Please bring your service log filled out so that our officers can do a service credit check in. We want to be sure that our members are keeping up with their service hours. You should have 10-12 hours logged by now. Bring your log to the meeting to hand in for a service credit check. We will return it to you promptly!
Also, please be checking the “Upcoming Service Opportunities” tab on this page and/ or Remind to sign up for service opportunities.
Attention all returning NJHS members!!!! Per Mr. Prickett’s discussion at our most recent meeting, the new GPA requirement for next year will be 3.50. You will need to keep track of your GPA and be sure you are able to end the THIRD TRIMESTER with this new GPA in order to be considered a member in good standing next year. Warning letters will be sent out after the trimester 2 reports go home if you are below a 3.5. This will give you the opportunity to bring it up before the end of the school year. In addition, you will need to secure 3 new recommendations. Please listen for announcements regarding where and when to pick up these forms after Spring Break!